Pledge Red is a nationwide campaign that aims to raise awareness about period poverty, tackle the stigma around menstruation and ultimately end period poverty in schools in South Africa.
By joining the Pledge Red campaign, schools will accept the 6 pledges below:
1. Tackle period stigma by speaking openly about periods and raising awareness in our communities so that no one feels embarrassed or ashamed about periods.
2. Educate ourselves and others on period poverty, periods and menstrual health.
3. Start conversations about periods in order to normalise the rhetoric around them.
4. Hold our leaders accountable and ensure they play their role in ending period poverty.
5. Speak out when family, peers or members of our community make negative comments about periods.
6. Involve men and boys in the conversations around periods and efforts to create an enabling environment for people who menstruate.
As part of the campaign we also host educational workshops in schools should they require. We cover topics like period basics; period products; menstrual health + hygiene; sexual health + reproductive health; period poverty. We incorporate games into the workshops and give the girl leaners period products at the end so that they can manage their periods with dignity.